Carrie Fischer/ Star Wars tribute

from Rolling Stone>

Such is the power of Carrie Fisher that she can bring down the house without even actually appearing on screen. The final line of this year's  bleak, unique stand-alone "Star Wars story" emerges from the computer-constructed mouth of a young Princess Leia – a single word that the underlines importance of what countless Rebels have died to have delivered to her. Compared to the film's CGI Tarkin, this Leia simulacrum is on screen for just seconds. But her monosyllabic summation of the film's message carries nearly 40 years of audience affection for the character who utters it. It's as if we the viewers have been catapulted to a galaxy, far, far away and a long time ago, when hope was in seemingly boundless supply.



Killing Jabba ('Return of the Jedi')

Yes, the golden metal bikini usually gets all the press in this sequence – as Rolling Stone's own Return of the Jedi cover made clear at the time, Fisher wore it well. But action speaks louder than compulsory attire, and Leia's coup de grĂ¢ce here was to grab the chains that held her captive and strangle the slug-like dirtbag who held her captive. "This bounty hunter is my kind of scum – fearless and inventive," Jabba said when Leia first broke into his palace disguised as a mercenary. Buddy, you didn't know the half of it.

Karma:




Here are some of her best quotes (via Rolling Stone) 

"Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi – you're my only hope" 

On why Star Wars worked"Movies are dreams! And they work on you subliminally. You can play Leia as capable, independent, sensible, a soldier, a fighter, a woman in control – control being, of course, a lesser word than master. But you can portray a woman who's a master and get through all the female prejudice if you have her travel in time, if you add a magical quality, if you're dealing in fairy-tale terms." via Rolling Stone


On her Hollywood families"Who's more famous than Debbie [Reynolds] and Eddie [Fisher]? 
C-3PO and Darth Vader." via Rolling Stone


On her natural demeanor"I act like someone in a bomb shelter trying to raise everyone's spirits." via The Princess Diarist


On her famous friends"Hi I'm Mrs. Han Solo, and I'm an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic because George Lucas ruined my life." via George Lucas's Lifetime Achievement Award at the American Film Institute


On what made Star Wars such a hit"Movies were meant to stay on the screen, flat and large and colorful, gathering you up into their sweep of story, carrying you rollicking along to the end, then releasing you back into your unchanged life. But this movie (Star Wars) misbehaved. It leaked out of the theater, poured off the screen, affected a lot of people so deeply that they required endless talismans and artifacts to stay connected to it." viaThe Princess Diarist

On what kept her sane"I don't think I was ever suicidal, and that's probably because of drugs." via Rolling Stone

On finding happiness
"Sometimes you can only find Heaven by slowly backing away from Hell." via Wishful Drinking


On discussing her affair with Harrison Ford in her autobiography, The Princess Diarist"I don't think it's that revealing, or it's certainly not offensive. It's not unkind about him. It's flattering. I mean, the way people are reacting to it is funny to me. I'd do him at 73." via Fresh Air



On her religion"You know how they say that religion is the opiate of the masses? Well, I took masses of opiates religiously." via Wishful Drinking

On her aspirations"I am hoping to get the centerfold in Psychology Today." via WebMD

On how she got cast in Star Wars
"I slept with some nerd. I hope it was George [Lucas] ... I took too many drugs to remember." via Vanity Fair